Sunday, February 13, 2011

2 down, 11 to go

When I was in college I learned how to crochet. It was always something that facinated me. My Aunt Jonna taught me. I was home in Casper on Christmas break. We were sitting on the floor of her living room with the sun graciously streaming in, all while it was brisk and cold outside. I challenged myself to make a scarf. Fairly simple. I did complete it. I still wear it. You can definitely tell it is beginner though. My stitches were inconsistent, waxing and waining, tight then loose and back to tight.

In the years that passed I always kept yarn on hand and would pick up the crochet hook and yarn every now and then-just to make sure I didn't forget to fingering for crochet. So my hands would remember. They always did.

Then a couple weeks ago when I was at Stasia's she was showing me her upcoming project. I found an afghan in her book that I loved. I couldn't get it out of my mind so I decided I would attempt to make it. NOTE: It's been probably six or seven years since I learned this craft and only ever completed one project. Makes this daughting. Also a good challenge.

So, without further adieu, I'd like to introduce you to my next crafting challenge....(minus the baby)...It is called "Twisted Pinwheel" and will most likely accompany me on any journeys for the next 12-24 months.

This is the completion of 2 of the "motifs" out of 52 that the pattern calls for and the 72 that I actually hope to complete. I'd like it to be a bit larger than planned via pattern.

This is the yarn. I'm really disappointed that the picture doesn't do the color justice at all. It is a deep, beautiful purple and has quickly become a color I love.


It's been fun to remember crochet, reminisce about my Aunt teaching me and other family crocheting in my presence and I even learned that my dad was taught to crochet and enjoyed it in his younger days. Stay tuned for project updates...who knows, maybe I'll surprise us all and have it done sooner than later!

1 comment:

  1. And your doing such a beautiful job! The photo does not show the amazing artistry of your work!
    Stasia

    ReplyDelete