The first mountain I saw was Jefferson straight ahead...
Then I turned around and was greeted by Mt St Helen's...
....and then Rainier....
...and then Adams and Hood....
....I couldn't get enough of the mountains....look at those rolling hills leading up to Jefferson.
I settled up on a rock about 4 feet tall that had the most perfect little cranny that was just the right size for a person to curl up in and I basked in the sun with four peaks in my line of site and the fifth right behind me. I had taken a notebook and pen and wrote. I thought. I got sunburned and didn't even know it. I was thankful for such majesty and that I am privileged enough to see and appreciate the beauty. I also enjoyed my lunch among the silence.
These are two of the peaks (look like bumps) of Tom, Dick & Harry. The two that are not accessible are refuges for Peregrine Falcons.
Mt Hood with Mirror Lake below.
I love this picture....me staring at Mt Hood.
Blue sky, white snow-capped mountain, green trees, more green trees, SNOW, and my feet.
Shortly, lots of people started arriving and after about an hour and a half of amazing views, I headed down.
But, I got to enjoy more views on my way down.
All in all, it was a great hike. A great way to celebrate America's birthday. There are mixed reviews of the mileage...a few sources say 5.8 miles from the parking area to the lake, around the lake and then up to Tom, Dick & Harry. A few other sources say 6.8 and my pedometer-less legs couldn't guess if you made them, though my hips probably could.
Blue sky, white snow-capped mountain, green trees, more green trees, SNOW, and my feet.But, I got to enjoy more views on my way down.
I knew it was a smart move to get there early, I was one of four cars when I parked. By the time I got done with the hike (about 1pm) my car had been joined by about 40 others...
....they even wrapped around the curve of the highway....
I wasn't successful in napping in order to make it to firework time and like I told a friend of mine, I fell alseep right as the fireworks were starting because I am cool and old like that! Haha! :)
Hope you all had a great day celebrating the freedoms we have in this beautiful country and those that fight to keep it that way! Happy 4th of July!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment