Monday, September 1, 2014

A Weekend of Firsts

Portland is so full of amazing: places, food, events, people. This weekend of firsts was brought to you by Portland and its awesomeness and an extra day off from work. My weekend started at like 5pm Thursday when I headed from work to Downtown Portland's Waterfront Park for a bang up concert by the Oregon Symphony and other groups opening for them. They were to end their concert with the 1812 Overture, complete with cannon firing, after cannon firing, after cannon firing and then a fireworks show. It was a wonderful and very people filled summer evening event.












I attempted and failed to upload a video I'd taken of the most recognized portion of the Overture with the cannon fire in the background, but alas, it was to large of a file...so you are left with just a video of the fireworks. Notice all the traffice below the fireworks...that is a freeway. Can you imagine driving and having to pay attention to the road with fireworks going off that close to you. I've done it. I wanted to stop to just watch, but that's not a good idea. 



After my psuedo-late night downtown (that wasn't really all that late, but I was exhausted) I slept in a bit on Friday and then had decided I was walking to some food carts that are about a mile and half from my place to have some gluten free crepe goodness at a crepe place that I drive by probably 5 times in a week and for two and a half years have wanted to stop. Certain life/death events in my life and the lives of loved ones of recent have really pounded into my reality that we never know how long our lives will be and life is too short for this sort of "putting off" of things we want to do. SO I succeeded in my goal of getting there. I took a lovely walk down a lovely trail on a lovely overcast Portland day and reached my destination....
 Crepes Plus!
 Of course, I had to order The Stephanie....not only because it is my name, but because I love all the stuffing ingredients. Yummmy. The crepes are made to order and Randy, the owner/operator of the food cart is marvelous and chats with his customers appropriately and recommends yummy sweet crepes that are worth trying as well.
 The Stephanie!
I will be back!

Friday I also dealt with a flat tire. Eh....for some reason it didn't impact me the way some car challenges do. New tire: and time to do that.

Saturday I ran errands, went to a movie (How to Train Your Dragon 2-just as cute as the first I thought, but very different from Maleficent, which I'd seen the week prior and I highly recommend both) and then I spontaneously ordered a g/f pizza from my favorite pizza place, Flying Pie-conveniently next door to the movie theater. While waiting for my pizza I walked a few doors down to a store called It's a Gift, which I've wanted to go into for at least a year. I drive by it daily on my way to work. Finally made it and it was a cute and quaint as I'd figured. Will also be back there.

Sunday I met my friend Linda at her place and we picked up lunch (early and packed away) and went to the Salish Ponds Wetland area to walk in nature and catch up on life and then we sat and ate and chatted more. Linda's wanted to take me there for ages, so that was another first.

Monday I was going to venture to The Oregon Garden-a place I've also not been, but as I was walking out the door I diverted and decided I didn't want to drive the distance. So, instead I went to Powell's and bought myself a $2.95 copy of The Giver to read, which I've not ever done, before seeing the movie and also a book on Oregon Coast Bridges for my dad who will love the book.

All-in-all, such a delightful weekend full of doing things at my timing and things I've wanted to do for so long. Also, I still owe myself at least one "first" from the weekend...raincheck for The Oregon Garden. Can't wait. Life is too short to not enjoy it and do things you want to, especially when they are minor things like visiting a place. Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment