Sunday, September 19, 2010

Out for a....

I had always wanted to drive the Hood River Fruit Loop. The map has been hanging off my fusebox for at least a year. Set to guide me as I navigated east into the Gorge when I awoke some gloreous morning, ready to just get in the car to drive. I sort of, accidentaly stumbled upon it when I was returning from a hike earlier in the summer. I vowed I'd return. I wanted to go for the Pear Festival. I love pears. I love fruit. I love the Hood River Valley. While my Dad was visiting we did the drive, but we didn't stop at any fruit stands. The forecast for this weekend was rain and more rain. I had more or less decided to wait until next weekend. Pass on the Pear Festival and just going post-festival to gorge myself on them after the crowds. To my surprise, the sun was shining when I got up this morning. I decide to hit the road.

Megan had been the weekend before and recommended Rasmussen Farms. That became destination and stop #1. And, by far, ended up being my favorite stop.

There were all sorts of colorful, and not colorful gourds. One of my favorite fall sites.
And pears...
And a wagon fill of unusually vibrant, orange pumpkins.
I also stopped at a few other fruit stands and farms, but was largely unimpressed. However, there were some adorable Alpacas near my last stop.

I learned something while I was out-and-about also:
Did you know that the Pear is the state fruit of Oregon?! Oh, okay, you did. Well, I didn't. Not until today that is. But I won't forget. Especially since it is one of my favorite fruits and all.
The trees were LOADED!

The sunflowers were blooming and enticed me to remember that I should venture out this direction for Van Gogh Days next summer.

At the end of the day, I had success. I made it home with three different varieties of pears. And, some pretty amazing pear hazelnut fruit spread. DELICIOUS! It was a grand day for a Sunday Dr! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment