Beacon Rock is a large monolith that is situated on the north bank of the Columbia River on the WA State side of the Gorge. It's always been a place I wanted to hike, but never had and I didn't really know if I could hike it with a bad knee and bad hip. Especially since I'd been told it pretty much vertical. WA State Parks hosted a free day today and I decided to take advantage of a free day on the trail. I ventured to the WA side of the river and made my way East to Beacon Rock State Park. I was going to climb what was left of the inside of a volcano!
At the trailhead!On of the views!
In order for Beacon Rock to be climbable, one of the original owners had created a switchback ramp system...with railings, thank goodness. This is a picture looking up with the zigzagging railings.
Another great view!
Chipmunk at the top of the 848 ft monolith.
Looking down...
After the hike up and down (which my knee and hip did very well with) I made my way over to the water and for a view if Beacon Rock from the river.
Click on the below picture and look closely...you can see the railings.
What a lovely hike, wonderful views and a great escape for the day!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment