Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm Thankful for...

a lot of things!

As we approach Thanksgiving, I would like to share what I am thankful for, not because everyone is doing it (I'm not a 'jump on the bandwagon' kind of girl) but rather because it gives me the opportunity to reflect and share these wonderful gifts in my life. These things should be reflected upon and appreciated year-round, which they are, but here they are compiled.

Here we go:

I am thankful for--

-my family, first and foremost. My parents who support me, love me, listen to me, provide for me, encourage me...you have had a HUGE contribution to the person I am today, you shaped me in my most formidable days and years and continue to do so today and hopefully for many more years. My brother for being my brother and loving me...where ever we go we are family and you remind me of that. My grandparents, alive and with me or no longer here, but still in my heart; those I met and those I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet. They all are my roots and I can only hope that they are and would be proud of who I am today. The variety and multitude of aunts, uncles, cousins-you remind me that there is a piece of me far reaching in this world. Love to you all.

-my friends. New and old. My "old" friends, those of you who know my soul and reflect it to me when I need reminding. You who know my dreams and aspirations and encourage me to strive for them--you help keep me aiming for the stars and the places I want to go. No matter what we've been through we will always remain connected, whether we speak often or not, each conversation feels like the previous one was just yesterday. I love you for that and for helping to keep me true. I look forward to the years where we don't remember what happened yesterday, but we still tell stories of our younger days. And to my "new" friends...if you only knew what you have gotten yourself into... just kidding. :) Truly, you are my future. I look forward to all the adventures yet to come, small and large alike.

{To all my family and friends-thank you for everything you have imparted to me in my time with each of you. My cup runneth over.}

-all the things that we take for granted so many times: the luxuries of life that I experience daily...four walls and a roof to keep the wind and rain out and the heat and sun and bugs out; a cozy flannel sheeted bed; food that nourishes my body; the books that nourish my love of learning; the music that soothes my soul; electricity, light, heat, air conditioning, water-cold and hot; bubble baths, hot showers; my car that gets me from point A to point B consistently. The senses: I'm blessed to have them...the taste of a juicy strawberry or the smell of fresh baked cookies (regular or gluten free), seeing the colors and beauty of the world and the velvety feel of Ezme's hair and the sound of energy and conversation in a room full or people, or of the beauty of silence in my quiet apartment. My education; my job; my co-workers.

-all the little things: blooming flowers, green plants; a smiling baby; the squeal of a toddler; the sounds of laughter and of sadness; the warmth of the sun on a sunny day; the warmth of a fire; the ice cold of iced tea and ice cream; the feel of a pet curled up with you; the sound of rain hitting the windows; the glistening of a freshly fallen snow; the smell and feel of freshly mowed grass. Cell phones/internet/email--they are my connection to and many times the link between my widespread family and friends; letters--I love actual paper, sent in the mail letters; games (one particular game at the moment- as I am not much of a game player) and other forms of entertainment; windchimes; the sounds of nature-chirping birds, babbling brooks, crashing thunder and the sight of a lighting bolt illuminating the sky. Rainbows-and the end of them. :)
the ability to travel, to see this world, experience new things and meet new people.

-my past...that sounds odd, but I am thankful for my past-the experiences and privileges I have had. Not everyone is able to experience the things I've experienced. And those experiences have contributed to making me who I am. I am honored to have been able to live the life I've lived and done the things I've done.

-my future...I have been given this day and hope to make the most of it. I am thankful I get to experience the here and now and can only hope that I have a lot more 'todays' to live, experiences to have and stories to tell.


There are probably a million more items I could list, but this feels pretty comprehensive for the moment.

What are you thankful for?

Blessings to you on this Thanksgiving and in the months and years to come!

Eat lots of yummy food-a bonus of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment