Friday, February 26, 2010

Commercialized Holiday's are Evil

Let me set the scene: It is Friday night, I am at Safeway. I am determined to get in, get out and to do it with nothing but "healthy" foods. I'm not crazed or anything, but earlier in the evening I succumbed and depressingly put on my "fat jeans." No big deal, some might say, but distrubing to me. Thankfully, they are still a bit too big for me. I had packed these jeans away 3 years ago when I started losing so much weight when I was deathly ill. And I don't use "deathly" lightly-I really felt that bad. This was pre-Celiac diagnoses and I was essentially starving to death, "wasting away," was the oh-so-not-medical-term my doctor used. At that time I ate constantly, there are people that can vouch for and verify that. I really was wasting away, and not by my choice. Like I said, I ate constantly. And when I wasn't eating I was saying I was hungry and thinking about what I was going to eat next. These food-focused thoughts and actions were explained later when it was discovered exactly how much my body needed ANY nourishment at all and the way the body does that is by eating.

Anywho, this week my stomach has been particularly bothering me and for the life of me I don't know why. I haven't eaten any glutens. Then, much to my semi-elation, I realized this evening, as I was feeling fat and frumpy and putting on those oh-so dreaded fat jeans that maybe it isn't that I've gained back that much weight, weight gain, yes, that much-maybe not. I think it is my poor bloated belly. No, REALLY! I haven't really felt well, or right all week. The one change?! I haven't been eating my morning dose of yogurt with those good-for-your-belly probiotics. Could that really be the answer to my distended stomach, my feeling of illness and the ened for those fat jeans? Sally, a friend from work would be elated to hear those words come out of my mouth and she preaches probiotic supplements. Maybe she has a really good point.

Off to the grocery store I go. I was going to stock up on yogurt. I'm not so crazed that I will go probiotic shopping, but if, after a few days eating my yogurt again I feel better and more 'normal'- maybe then I will consider going gang busters with the probiotics.

Now, back to the original point of this post. Commercialized holiday's are evil. While I was minding my own picking-out-my-fruits and vegetables business I look up to see stacks and stacks of candy, Easter candy. In my mind I begin to think, "wasn't Valentine candy just out," yes, and before then "wasn't all the Chistmas candy and junk food out," yes. And it goes on, all the way back to October, 5 months ago, and the beginning of candy/junk food holiday overload. Yuck. Sort of makes my stomach ache right now. And never mind I consumed about my weight in M&M minis this past weekend, and then we had a lovely, but troubled afternoon at work that included a table full of mostly sugar-filled junk food and a chocolate fountain, and I have scheduled and followed through with lunch/dinner dates with many friends that I am trying to get caught up with. It all spells no-good for me. Oh my goodness. I was proud that I steered very clear of the danger zone and made it out and home safely with a bag full of good-for-me foods tonight. I think I need to have one of those 'body detox programs' or something, and it better be something good.

In the meantime, I think I will go for a walk since the rain has stopped and I need to get my new shoes broken in for all the walking I'll be doing in just over a month when I venture to the other side of the country to see my brother, who bless him, is excited when he gains weight.

Tata for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment