Monday, May 30, 2011

For love of country they accepted death... ~James A. Garfield

I have lived down the hill, not even a mere mile, from Willamette National Cemetery for 5 Memorial Day's and this is the first time I have trekked up the hill for the Memorial Day Service. Each year that I have been in town on Memorial Day I have been able to hear the fighter jets fly overhead for the ceremony's customary fly-over. Each year I have asked myself why I didn't go. I grew up attending Memorial Day Observance Ceremonies. Many times being in them myself. I can't count the years of pictures my Mom has of me dressed in white, or blue and white, white gloves donned and either laying a wreath or holding a flag. It is part of my being to respect departed military in this way. So, spur of the moment, and only because my investigation on start time, I attended this year's 61st Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Willamette National Cemetery. I felt at home there. Comforted.


Because I live relatively close, and because I've seen the steady stream of traffic leaving the cemetery on Memorial Days past, I decided to put on my walking shoes and walk UP the hill (officially called Mt Scott, by-the-way) to the cemetery. Boy, was it a walk, a hike rather. Once I got to the cemetery gates I had a nice hike through the cemetery to get to the ampitheatre where the service was held. I was elated to see the ample seating area, as I had expected that I would be standing. It was a chilly, overcast, threat-of-rain morning. Thankfully, it didn't rain, the sun came out and it became quite warm.



Below you can see the ampitheatre, and all the people. I was about 2/3 way back. Later news reports predicted that there were 2,000 people in attendance. It wouldn't surprise me.

The F-15 Interceptors from the Oregon Air Guard flew over. Because of the cloud cover it was hard to see them. This is the best picture I got. It was fun to hear and feel the rumbling for minutes prior to them flying over. I love that feeling. (linked photo courtesy of NORAD)


Master of Ceremonies...

It was fun for me to watch the speakers because I could see my homestate State Flag the whole time...can you see the head of the Buffalo?! Love it!


Advancement of Colors...actually, it may be the retiring of, I can't remember.


The Bagpipers for Portland Police Highland Guard.

No promises that the following video will work, but I must try. I love, Love, LOVE bagpipes. I had to capture a bit of their sounds.






A plaque at the ampitheatre.

The Fallen Soldier Battle Cross. Read more about the symbolizm HERE.



I didn't puruse the cemetery a whole lot, but did come upon this memorial of WWI with a plaque with the poem, In Flanders Fields, with Poppies planted at the base.



There was also a 21 Cannon Salute. The cannons of today look so differentfrom the cannons of yesterday.

Walking back down through the cemetery I discovered a couple of gravesites of men from Wyoming.



Lots of flags.

There are beautiful views of Portland from high on the hill (mountain) that the cemetery resides on.

Love the bright pink Dogwood tree, blooming in all of its glory.

Across the street from Willamette National is another cemetery, Lincoln Memorial. There were also flags displayed there. You can see the grounds of Lincoln Memorial just past the brick posts and iron fence.

All that traffic coming down the hill...still...at about an hour after the ceremony was over.




It was a great morning and I am so thankful that I ventured up the hill and experienced such a great tribute to the men and women we have lost in order to live the lives we are able to live in such a great country.

No comments:

Post a Comment