You see, a couple of weeks ago when I was in Corvallis visiting Tera, she mentioned her graduation from the School of Ministry that she has been going to for the last nine months. She mentioned to me the date, which was a Friday evening, which equated to my inability to attend. This was unfortunate, but not the end of the world, as I was getting to spend a good deal of time with her that weekend.
A few days after my return to work my coworker pointed out to me that I was off on June 3rd. The Friday of the graduation. I don't know what stirred me, in January, to request such an odd day off from work. That is not my general practice, but I am grateful that I did. It also, so happened, to be the best weather day of the year. Bonus!
Tera's graduation didn't begin until 7 p.m. So the question was, 'what to do with myself all day leading up to that time?' Solution--drive to the beach on the way. Crazy?! I think it was one of the most brilliant ideas I've had all month, especially considering it is so early in the month. So, after deciding on the plan, this is what the map leading me on my day away looked like....
When I was driving along I saw a sign for a covered bridge. If you don't know me, you don't understand my affinity for covered bridges, but I had to turn off the road and find the bridge. It was just a short distance from the main highway. The Drift Creek Covered Bridge.
Later in the day I passed the Chitwood Covered Bridge. It was right off the highway, there were lots of cars behind me, so I had to pass without stopping. I borrowed this picture from this site. Someday I will have to make an intentional stop.
I arrived at Lincoln City and looked for beach access. I can't say that I particularly love Lincoln City, at least not the parts I saw, besides the beach. I am used to the places I generally go. I did enjoy seeing a new place. I did enjoy the sand and the sun!
Proof of the sun AND that Iwas in it!
The sand was so warm (read hot) that my toes and feet got nice and pink. Besides the polish. Hard to tell in the pic.
This lighthouse was painted on the side of one of the buildings.
Sea grass in black and white.
I arrived at Lincoln City and looked for beach access. I can't say that I particularly love Lincoln City, at least not the parts I saw, besides the beach. I am used to the places I generally go. I did enjoy seeing a new place. I did enjoy the sand and the sun!There aren't many pictures of me that I like, but this would be one of them!
A ladybug landed on my windshield.
After taking off from the beach I stopped at the outlet shopping center. A trip to the beach mandates ice cream for lunch...it was tasty, especially in the hot weather. I then headed from Lincoln City toward Newport, I stopped at Cape Foulweather for some gorgeous views.

After getting to Newport I saw a sign for Yaquina Head Lighthouse. I pulled in, paid the fee and headed for my next adventure.
There it is!
Standing above this area the wind was so strong that if I faced right into it I couldn't breathe at all. The water was a beautiful color.
The lighthouse was opened in 1873 and is still an operational lighthouse.
Oil barrels.
Apparently, there is usually a line to get up the stairs to the lighthouse, but I lucked out and got to walk right up...a lot of steps.
One of the window views.
The lens...it was made in France and shipped over. Still the original.
There were two lightbulbs. The larger one on the right side was the primary bulb. It lasts about one year. When it burns out the smaller one starts working, sends a message to the coast guard and they come change out the main light. The bigger bulb costs $500.
You can see the light lit up.
Rainbows from the lenses.
114 steps to get to the top...
The view looking down.

There were thousands of birds covering the rocks off the head.
A simple, yet meaningful memorial.
Looking out across the ocean.

I walked down to Cobble Beach and hobbled among the cobbles. While I was at it I saw this cute little guy scampering across the rocks. He was only about the size of a quater with lots of little legs sticking out.



After the walk at the lighthouse and surrounding areas I spent at least 20 minutes combing out the tangles from my hair being so windblown. It was worth it, I think.
Looking out across the ocean.
I walked down to Cobble Beach and hobbled among the cobbles. While I was at it I saw this cute little guy scampering across the rocks. He was only about the size of a quater with lots of little legs sticking out.
Egg shell...
I'm going to put in another post the video I took of the waves. There was this odd sound when the wave was receeding and I just couldn't get over it. The video wasn't happy in the post!
Hard to see, but seals sunning themselves on the rocks.

The lighthouse from Newport.
Flowers like the sun as much as I do.
After I said my goodbyes to the beach, the salty air, the peace I felt; I hopped back into the car and headed inland to Corvallis. I arrived, got something to eat, got changed and made my way to Tera's church. Her parents sat with me and we enjoyed chatting and watching the meaningful graduation ceremony. Tera had been one of two students chosen to address the audience and her classmates with a speech. She is an eloquent and beautiful speaker and I loved her speech.
After the ceremony there was talking, hugging and then the drive home for me. It was a glorious day away. A time for peace, renewal, reflection, fun and celebrating accomplishments of a dear friend. All things that I love.
~
"You are all on God’s track team. He set a race before you that must run in with endurance.
So make sure that you lay aside every weight that will slow you down in the race that God has given you. And make sure that you also cut off all sin because it will, if undealt with, easily entangle you and cause you to loose your footing.
While you run, fix your eyes on the one who ran His race with perfection, and let His humility and joy be your example and inspiration.
Use your unique running form that God has designed and do not slow yourself down by trying to match your teammates form, thinking that theirs might be better. And stay in your lane, knowing that there is no higher calling in life than God’s calling, and He is the one who put you in that lane.
When the race hurts at times, and you feel fatigued, take joy because this testing is producing greater endurance within you that will cause you to run even stronger. And do not give up, but remember that you are running for a glorious prize; press on, not looking back, but straining forward to what lies ahead.
And most importantly, do not, for one second, ever, ever, EVER forget who it is that has made you His runner…. by calling you by name to be on His team.
Know always that He believes in you – you whom He chose and trusts to run well;
Know always that He is cheering for you on every corner of the track, having only good things to say about His beloved athlete;
Know always that he will never cut you from the team, no matter how much, at times, you may feel like you have failed Him;
And know always that as His trained athlete, you never have to doubt your talent, but are free to run well, strong, and fast in this race knowing that He has fully prepared you for it."
So make sure that you lay aside every weight that will slow you down in the race that God has given you. And make sure that you also cut off all sin because it will, if undealt with, easily entangle you and cause you to loose your footing.
While you run, fix your eyes on the one who ran His race with perfection, and let His humility and joy be your example and inspiration.
Use your unique running form that God has designed and do not slow yourself down by trying to match your teammates form, thinking that theirs might be better. And stay in your lane, knowing that there is no higher calling in life than God’s calling, and He is the one who put you in that lane.
When the race hurts at times, and you feel fatigued, take joy because this testing is producing greater endurance within you that will cause you to run even stronger. And do not give up, but remember that you are running for a glorious prize; press on, not looking back, but straining forward to what lies ahead.
And most importantly, do not, for one second, ever, ever, EVER forget who it is that has made you His runner…. by calling you by name to be on His team.
Know always that He believes in you – you whom He chose and trusts to run well;
Know always that He is cheering for you on every corner of the track, having only good things to say about His beloved athlete;
Know always that he will never cut you from the team, no matter how much, at times, you may feel like you have failed Him;
And know always that as His trained athlete, you never have to doubt your talent, but are free to run well, strong, and fast in this race knowing that He has fully prepared you for it."
~Tera Stegner CSOM Graduation Ceremony 6/3/11
~
After the ceremony there was talking, hugging and then the drive home for me. It was a glorious day away. A time for peace, renewal, reflection, fun and celebrating accomplishments of a dear friend. All things that I love.
Oh, and the geography lesson...there is a lot to see in Oregon, well worth the trip to Corvallis via the Oregon Coast. It was the best route!

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment