Can't you just feel the moonshine
Ain't it just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm gone to Carolina in my mind
~James Taylor
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm gone to Carolina in my mind
~James Taylor
So, here I am. A whole month (and then some more days) after spending Christmas and New Year's Eve on the opposite coast from where I currently find myself. Yes, the date on the blog post is for earlier in the year than it really is. The glory of being able to change post dates. In all truth it is almost Valentine's Day when I write this...where has the time gone? So, in my mind (and in pictures) I'm goin' to Carolina (the North one) and then to DC too. I will also take you!
Christmas morning Josh and I got up and ready to hit the road. Our destination was Wilmington NC. Home of my uncle. Home to the place we would celebrate Christmas with my Mom and Uncle.
Pretty poor picture, but it is indeed the state line as we were leaving Virginia and entering North Carolina.
Not too much longer to go...
We're here!

My Uncle lives in a house in the historic area of Wilmington. It is one of those houses that has a plaque on it describing the historical significance. Pretty cool place if I do say so!
Dinner was almost done and so while we were waiting Josh and I unloaded the car and then went for a walk down to the River...Cape Fear. It was nice to be in warmer weather.
We had our Merry Christmas Eve picture in front of Christmas Trees in MD, so we took a Merry Christmas Day picture in front of the palms!
Checking out the river.
On the river with the USS North Carolina across the river.
My Uncle's home. It is a duplex, but not the typical side-by-side style we see today, rather the top and bottom style. Almost 100 years old.
The door you can see with the wreath on it below is his. And so is the balcony!
Looking down the hallway! My Uncle has a pretty cool collection of photos, etc down the hall.
More cool stuff!
Not so comfortable square toilet. There's a story about that seat, too.
View from the hallway towards the door out onto the balcony. Awesome hardwood floors.
Portion of Living room.
Christmas!
Christmas Cat Buki!
Josh wrapped his gifts in Birthday paper. To celebrate Jesus' birth!
On speaker phone with fam from WY.
We laughed a lot this day. At dinner. Opening gifts. I cried a few times because I was laughing so hard.
L to R: Me, Mom, Brother, Uncle, Dog at feet.
~ Brother and Sister

Sister and Brother~

Sister and Brother~
Josh tutoring Mom on how to check her email on his smart phone.
We went to the Serpentarium while we were visiting. Saw some snakes. And some other reptiles. I was sort of fascinated.
Huge "Giant Anaconda"
Josh "petting" a croc.
snake
snake
lizard
Iguana and tongue!
There were parrots in the lobby. The guys had fun talking to them.

We also went to your the USS North Carolina. It COLD, but good! This is the view from the ship deck towards the downtown area. My Uncle's place is near the church steeple.
Wilmington in a Coast Guard City and you can see one of the ships across the river from the deck of the USS NC


Above picture is the "church" quarters that collapsed down for meal times.
In the galley~
Lots o' steps.

Master electric switch. One huge light switch~
Smile, Mom!

:)
The wishing well~
The Gyrocompass. Center of the ship.
Ammo...and lots of it.
Gun powder. And brother.
Gear. Heavy gear.
Dental area.
Dr's office
View out the porthole.

On deck. It was cold and windy, but oh-so-gloriously-sunny!
Huge chain links for the anchor.



Go Josh, go!
Loved this sign~
Big ship parts~


Headed to the ocean. The building on the left is the resturant we ate lunch. Center of photo...ocean!
View from our table~
Walking on the beach.
There were lots of shells we were picking up. Also, lots of dolphins swimming out in the water.
Basking in the sun~with a winter coat on.
Beauty.
Shadows~
Love this pier!
I could handle this view daily.
Mom and Josh.
Eating ice cream. Outside. In December. Crazy family. 'Nough said.
USS NC at sunset.
Me and big Buki~
Smiling in the sun with my Mom.
On the road back to DC...some more snow on the sides of the road.
Snippets from DC area...
Walking the cat in the hall.
DC and surrounding areas host a delicious cupcake/cake place called CakeLove. Pretty much amazing, especially since they have gluten-free cupcakes. Megan, my friend who told me about them was pretty much right on when she said it is the frosting that is so good. Yummm...
At the National Archives building. Pretty cool to see the Declaration, Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Look at that beautiful blue sky!

I was sort of in a bum mood, for no apparent reason...until I saw this...then I cheered up immensely.


Surrounding the tree on the Ellipse were 57 smaller trees--one for each state and territory.



Little villages and lots of trains surrounding the base of the tree.

Christmas lights make me happy.







New Year's Eve
Glimpses of Butters...

We spent some time in downtown Bethesda and went to another cake place that had amazingly wonderful decorated cakes...

.jpg)
Thanks for the detailed journey through your adventure!!! Looks like you had a fabulous time spent with wonderful family members! I have been to DC a handful of times, but never been there when the tree is up... it is now on my list of things to do because it is beautiful! :) Hope you are doing well my friend! Again, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete