Sunday, August 7, 2011

"You ought to have seen what I saw on my way...

...To the village, through Mortenson's pasture to-day:
Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb,
Real sky-blue, and heavy, and ready to drum
In the cavernous pail of the first one to come!
And all ripe together, not some of them green
And some of them ripe! You ought to have seen!" ...
~Robert Frost


I must admit that this poem extends from here, but bores me dearly. My blueberry picking time, however, didn't bore me. I've always wanted to go berry picking, and after being tipped off to a great blueberry farm by my friend, Diane, from work, off I went for an experience. It was a hot day, I was freshly sunburned, but oh-so-productive in my berry picking endeavor. There were lots of rows of bushes and I had no idea how to pick which row to pick on and settled it by selecting row 22....my favorite number. It was a good row to pick. I emerged from the bushes 6+lbs later. Unlike Mr. Frost's poem, there were still lots of green berries, but lots of ripe ones also.

Now...to bag and freeze some for the winter and crossing off of my to do before I die list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment