Lost Lake is a hike that I've had tabbed as "to-do" in my favorite hiking book for a long time. I finally decided to suck up the drive (which is what had been holding me back, pathetically) and go. I got up (sort of) early and packed a lunch and headed out. I have written before of my love of Mt Hood and I was so looking forward to the amazing views I would see.
The drive through the gorge was beautiful.
The view of Mt Adams was wonderful.
Me with the lake and smoke behind me.As I went along on my hike the smoke encroached more and more. By the time I left it was starting to settle in the area. Shortly after I got home, after my detour and nice drive to get home, I saw on Facebook that the resort and campground had been evacuated and closed due to the smoke. I was thankful I got out when I did and didn't have the evacuating people (there were lots of them) and chaos to deal with.
I made my way away from Lost Lake and headed towards Parkdale. I had planned to return to PDX via Lolo Pass Rd, which would have taken me very near the fire. I feared that they may have closed the road, so I went for a much longer drive to Hwy 35 to Hwy 26 and stopped at Timberline Lodge.
This is the view from near Parkdale.

Coming up on Mt Hood from the south you can see all the smoke.
View from Timberline Lodge (parking lot).
Mt Hood!
Above you can see Mt Jefferson and the smoke from a wildfire burning there, also.
Mountain Lupine, so pretty...



Me with a grand mountain behind me.
The Pacific Crest Trail passes Mt Hood at Timberline. This is a trail known well by area hikers. It runs from Canada down through WA, OR, CA to Mexico. 
All-in-all, I didn't get the view that I had planned on, but I still got a view, and have pictures and a story to tell about the Dollar Lake Fire. A good day, I'd say.
.jpg)
Beautiful! Someday I hope to get into hiking... you'll have to direct me to easy ones! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete