Saturday, August 23, 2014

Kitty on a diet

Who ever thought that this would be a greeting they got in their email inbox? About the cat? Yes, the cat.
 
Well, I did. Today at 1:02pm to be exact. Mind you, this email was supposed to arrive in my inbox a week ago. I had Ezme at the vet for our annual "kitty has a sinus infection" appointment. Because she is sensitive like that. She has narrow sinus passages and when she gets allergies (exactly one week before mine start bothering me every year) she always develops a sinus infection. Without fail. Ugh. Then we always make the expensive and long (1+ hr) trip to the vet for the antibiotics as that is all that tackles it. Every time we've gone the last couple of years the focus becomes her weight. Do you remember this post about me buying a scale (which I've always opposed having in my home) just to weigh her so I wouldn't have to take her into the hour away vet office every other week for a weigh in? Well, we are back at it. Ezme gained another pound. She's a hefty 20 pounds of cuddly kitty, but Dr is worried about diabetes. I am too, but in all the weight loss attempts we have failed. Really, I have failed. We did kitty calisthenics. She eventually refused. We tried new low cal/low carb/high protein food. She liked it but didn't loose weight. We cut back on food and she started eating things she should not ever eat (it is a TMI situation so I'm leaving it at that) and I refused to let that happen so we have finally caved and agreed to try a prescription diet food and OMG I am not looking forward to the drive to the vets office every month to get it. We may have to problem solve that situation.

So, the lovely, cute, cuddly and gracious cat that is now on a diet: (this picture is the best of the worst that I could find because most of the pictures I have of her you can't tell how big she is-it was taken at Christmas after most of the family left and she was recovering).
 This picture was just taken back in May.
She looks big, but not as big as she is (in my biased opinion). It's interesting in an ironic way that she is now on a diet because when I first adopted her the same vet wanted her to gain weight because she was underweight....oy. I find that I am actually very sensitive to this, I don't know why. Am I transferring my thoughts and feelings about weight onto her? I don't think so, because I am not super sensitive about my weight. What I think the case is is that I feel like a bad kitty mommy and judged as that since she is overweight-which is something completely in my control and I just have failed at what needed to be done in regards to her weight. But, life is life and we are now on the cat weight loss bandwagon. Wish us luck. Oh, and I'm digging out that scale for weigh-ins again...for the cat. Not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment