Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Book Thief

I am sort of a book freak. I am always reading something. Most recently, in fact as of about one hour ago, I was reading one of the most amazing books. If someone were to ask me what my favorite book is I wouldn't be able to pick. I've read so many wonderful books, and they were all my favorite as I was reading them and most immediately after reading them. Then I start another. I have most definitely read books that were not my favorites...you win some, you lose some.

Partly because of the title of this book, I was drawn to it. My co-worker was reading it for her book club and she knew I'd love it too. We have a similar taste in books, which benefits us both, we have lending libraries out of each others bookshelves. It is a great thing!

I have discovered that reading is more difficult for me in the summer months because I'd rather be outside doing things, hiking, traveling, being busy. So when Donna loaned me The Book Thief I warned her that I couldn't promise a return time. She doesn't mind. I've had books she loaned me a year ago that I have yet to crack.

Anywho, I started reading it one evening at a concert in the park. At first I thought, "I have no idea if I will enjoy this." The book is written from the perspective of death, and it sort of jumps around a bit. I was in only four pages when I knew I'd love it. Marjus Zusak is the author and he has an extraordinary way with words. There are lots of quotes I could have taken from this book, but that would have meant putting it down long enough to write them out. I will share my first favorite from the book:

***A SMALL THEORY***
People observe the colors of the day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations, with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spat blues. Murky darknesses. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.



I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes history and is in for a captivating read!

No comments:

Post a Comment