After putting the Advantage on Ezme I decided to head out to the store to get a flea comb. I knew that even with the Advantage it would take some time and she was suffering, I am sure. Also considered buying the bombs to bug bomb my apartment, but that would require Ezme and I both to leave for 2-4 hours total...hard to do on a rainy weekend. If they reappear I will bomb. Trust me. After I returned home I think Ezme knew something was going to happen. She tried to bolt out my front door, which she has never done. I cornered her and confined her to the bathroom. I needed a bowl of soapy water and my special comb.
I went into the bathroom, weapons in hand. I started combing her. I should pause here and say that there are several things in the previous hours that I have to thank God for. I will point those thankful things out as we go. First thing, I thank God that Ezme LOVES to be combed, hates brushes, loves combs and that was to my advantage tonight. She sat for a bit and allowed me to comb her, it wasn't until I got to her face, belly and legs that she fought me. Thing two that I thank God for: Ezme knows when I mean business. We've done enough medication giving, nail trimming, etc. that she knows my stern voice. Yes Marta, I do have it in me.
So once I had gotten situated and started combing I swear that I upset all those little bugs, because they waged battle against Ezme and I. They had all been fairly dormant in my previous blog, this time, oh no, they came out in full force. I finally know what people mean when they say that they can see them jumping and scurrying. Thank God thing three: I don't get to easily grossed out and can maintain my calm. I think if I couldn't do that, tonight would have been much worse. After at least 2 hours of combing and at least 100 fleas, I had finally worn myself and Ezme out enough that she was panting. I'd never seen a cat pant with its tongue hanging out, that is, until tonight. Poor girl. I decided to give both of us a break, but she was still confined to the bathroom.
I on the other hand, headed for the trusty computer to see if I could find any remedies that were "natural" and any more immediate than the Advantage. Thank God thing four: I can pick up wireless, and there is a wealth of information at my fingertips.
Did you know, Apple Cider Vinegar has multiple uses? Well, apparently it is my new miracle liguid, gold in a bottle (I hope). I did a search for herbal flea baths and a website came up for it, but then there were lots of comments about using ACV, which I couldn't figure out. Then I did. To the kitchen cupboards I went and indeed I had ACV. Let's try it. The website had also said Dawn dishsoap, another miracle item in my mind, for other reasons, which was setting next to my sink was a flea killer.
Again, I entered the bathroom with more weapons in hand. I had diluted the ACV with water and stuck Ezme into the bathtub and poured it all over her. Next up rinsing, then sudsing with the Dawn. I just knew she'd fight me. Thank God thing five, I just trimmed her nails a couple days ago so they weren't the sharp daggers that they could have been. Amazingly, she was calm. I think once the liquid was hitting her and then I was massaging the soap into her she had some relief. It took forever to get all the suds out of her and she just sat there. I liken it to taking an oatmeal bath if you have chickenpox. I never did do that, but hear it works. Thank God thing six: that she was mellow during the bathtime event. She was such a trooper.
I had gotten some towels out and ready. When I got myself out of the bathtub she continued to just sit. I wrapped her up and cuddled with her, told her how good she was and we just sat for a few minutes. I released her from the prison we'd both been in. I immediately started collecting any fabric things that she had been laying on and started laundry. What couldn't fit in went outside. Thank God thing seven: I have a washer and dryer in my apartment. I'd love to vacuum, it says on all the websites that vacuuming is one of the best things to do, but I know my neighbor down below probably already hates me enough for the night. Tomorrow. First thing. Right at this exact moment I am thanking God for my numbers eight, nine and ten that have occurred in the last 6 or so hours (there are probably more that I can't think of at 12:15am). Eight: that I have been able to watch Ezme for the last 2 hours since release from bathroom doom and she hasn't been bothered once by one of those pesky, nasty bugs. She has been grooming, but it is completely related to the fact that she was soaked. Nine: that she is now curled up on my lap trying to dry out and stay warm and her little motor is just purring away. Ten: Really, thank God wet cats don't smell as bad as wet dogs. Sweet release, and here is to maintained normallcy in the bug department in our abode. Load 2 just got done. Can we got to bed yet?
Ezme post ACV and Dawn bath.
I'm including the post 24 hour discovery info in this same post since I hadn't published it yet. So, I slept well, not as well as I would have liked, but Ez also crashed last night. Right next to me. She was bothered, and let me know about it, each time I got up. When I finally awoke today (Sunday) I decided to start more laundry and to call Holly, who had a flea fiasco earlier in the summer. She made her recommendation for a bug bomber. You see, in the middle of the night I decided I WOULD NOT deal with these critters again this summer and the guaranteed way was to bomb my apartment. I wouldn't mind a real bomb at the moment. In order to successfully bug bomb, or "fog" my apartment I must purchase said "fogger" and get Ezme into my car, with something to entertain myself also. I first vacuumed everything...couldn't hurt could it? Then I packed us up. I set the room up for fogging and went about following the directions. I started the fogger once Ez was in the car. I closed my door, locked it and said a prayer. Please let this be the solution. I decided we'd go for a little drive. First, I was going to set the alarm on my phone so I would know exactly when we could return. 2 hours later right? Maybe? I don't know. And the box is in the apartment being fogged. Well, shoot. I guessed on 2 hours as that is what another product had called for. Off we went for our ride/Stephanie's reading time. Ezme curled up in the passanger seat and napped, watched what was going by, etc. See photo below:
We drove through rainstorms, sunshine, leaves starting to change color, stopped to get ice cream from Dairy Queen and then I parked to read. Shortly the alarm went off. We headed home. Only 30 minutes to go to let it air out, once we arrived. I left Ezme in the car and headed in. I started opening things, turning on fans, etc. Then I read the box. 4 hours, another shoot. Well, 2.5, which is what it ended up being had to be better than nothing right? I hope. We will see. If not, I have another bottle of fogger. It was time for another Apple Cider Vinegar/Dawn bath to make sure. Well, to try to make sure. And then I went to work vacuuming everything again. Moving furniture and all. Ezme is now sitting on my bed trying to dry off, I am sitting at the computer ready to be done with what is now laundry load 5 and this whole flea business. Anyone want to trade places? Oh yea, thank God thing eleven (I think) : I still have another day off this weekend! Good thing! :)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment