Friday, November 12, 2010

The Ripple Effect

Alternately titled:
"On the difference we make in peoples lives
and the difference they make in ours."


This post has been a long time in the making. It has been rolling around in my mind as if it is all that takes up residence in this place. It has been formulating during what has equated to hours of conversations, some where I did the talking, some where I did the listening, all with those who are close to my heart. It took a road trip to see a dear new friend. It took a late night airport run and quiet on my part. It took a picture message of a beautiful fall leaf from a beautiful friend. It took a typical weekly visit and conversation that took a different path than normal. It took walks up a pretty intense hill. It took a reconnection with a mentor from my junior high days. It took listening to music. Listening to my heart. It took the melancholy that settles like a heavy fog in my life, always making itself known during the change of seasons. It took silence. And the processing of conversation content. The processing of brain content. And of heart content. It may not be clear, but it is from deep in my soul. It is tangential. Quiet but loud. It is sincere. It is here, for you, to read. For you to know my appreciation of you.

As of late I cannot not think about the people in my life. I know a lot of people. I have connected with a lot of people. I cherish the impact that they all have had on my life. Hence, the ripple effect. Recently, I've often been finding my thoughts drifting towards the people that have entered my life, and who have not left. The people who have entered my life, and who have left. For all of them, for all of you, I am thankful. Truly. I am. I wouldn't be the person I am today without your presence in my life. Your influence. Your love. Your time. Your patience.

There have been innumerable people who have made a dent in my person, my development. Carefully crafting who I am, carving out the image of me as a person, whether they knew it or not. There is, of course, my family. They are the base, sturdy and strong like a Great Oak. They are the ones who first taught me love. Taught me the impact that can be made in the life of someone, for better or worse. Then there came all who are not blood related, but are heart related. The people that I surround myself with. The people who again, teach me love, but of a different kind. The friends who share their concerns, friends who share their life experiences, their fears, their excitements. And those are the friends that let me share my concerns, life experiences, fears and excitements. It is they, who have open hearts and let me be me and love me for who I am.

As I think of you and thank God for placing you in my life I also wonder at the impact that I have made in your life, in the lives of all those that I interact with. Was it for the better, or worse? I pray for the first, but will also own the later. In several conversations and thoughts that I've had as of late, one of the points I come back to often is: I may know the impact that a particular person has made in my life, but I often forget and minimize the impact that I may have made in the life of another. The reason I make this point is not in vain. The reason I make this point is to remind you, to tell you, that even though you are grateful for those who impact your life, you should always remember that you are also making an impact in peoples lives. You are important. Even if you feel small. Even if you feel insignificant. You aren't. No one is. You have made an impact on me. In my life. I am beyond blessed to have you as a part of me and who I am.

I've decided on the need to be on a personal crusade to more transparently and intentionally acknowledge those who make a difference to me and for me. I begin here. And I hope I don't end. Many blessings to you and many thanks from my heart go to you.



Always,
~Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. An absolutely beautiful piece of writing! I wanted it to continue as I scrolled to the end of your blog. I was searching for more because I was so lost in your words. I completely agree with you on every aspect of this blog... and I do not know why we tend to minimize the impact we have on others, but I think it is very important for us to remember that we impact others every day. Thanks for sharing the beautiful blog! I absolutely loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete