Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ode to my cat~

Yes, you did read that correctly. This is an ode to my cat, Ezme. I have had her for 2 years today. Now, just to clarify, I am not a crazy cat lady-I think there is some unspoken requirement that you have to have like 50 and never leave them...maybe (?). I am not the cat owner who must get home in time to feed the cat-she'll eat when I get there. I'm not the cat owner that collects all things cat-not my style. I am also, not a cat person, or I wasn't two years ago. Things change. Two years ago brought a new adventure for me-living on my own. I love living on my own, but hadn't ever lived alone until this point in time. I knew that there would be times I would be lonely-how could that not happen, even as introverted as I am. I also knew that I wasn't allowed to have a dog in the apartment I would be living in. (Truly, this didn't hurt my feelings. I'm not big on walking a pet daily, and I would feel bad having a dog couped up in an apartment and not having a yard for it to run in.) I began to wonder if I shouldn't get a cat...what?! Me, a cat. No way. I had been declining (actually, refusing to get a cat when asked by my roommate of three years-absolutely no cat).
Life changes. Minds change (especially mine). Hearts change. Situations change.
I started looking at websites. BAD websites, well--bad only in that they were fully loaded with cute, cuddly, four legged creatures that needed homes. It is an addiction. Seriously. Did you know that the Oregon Humane Society has a webcam in one of the cat rooms...bad news. Really bad. I looked at multiple agencies, in the end I settled on the Humane Society. Why? (confession #1-) I knew where it was. I know, I know--that really shouldn't matter (and partly, I am ashamed to admit this...confession #2- that webcam got me)...ouch.
Anywho, I kept thinking about those four-legged felines. I had NEVER been a cat person (except that one time when a stray adopted us and had 6 kittens in our garage...I loved mama cat and those kittens). I had multiple really bad experiences with one single cat. My grandparents had a cat, that to this day, I swear is a spawn of the devil--really. I could not walk into their home without being attacked, completely unprovoked I might add. This cat even had the nerve of jumping off a bookshelf onto my head with claws extended at one time. I hated that cat.
I transferred those feelings to all cats. I know--you can't judge a book by its cover and I shouldn't be racist, er, catist?!
I thought about all the things that I thought a person who was considering adopting a cat should think of...mainly-where will the litter box go and what color should the cat be. What else can there be, right!? Those are the important things. For.Sure.
With all my internet browsing I decided I liked the black cats (confession #3-black cat hair on the black pants that I most often wear to work would "blend" in...vain, I know, but I didn't want to spend all kinds of time needing to pick (really) visible cat hair off of my clothes-or at least not off my black pants). I did consider other colors, but I was drawn to the black cats. I was drawn to that Humane Society webcam.
I think I made 3, maybe 4 trips to the Humane Society. I looked at all the cats each time. Then I looked at all the cats again. I decided against a kitten, but also against an older cat. I wanted a post kittenhood cat, but one still young enough that I'd have lots of time with it. Then I got serious. I found the perfect cat "online." Her name was Regina. I was pretty sure she was the one. I went back to the Humane Society, for probably the fifth time, after work on a Friday. I asked to see Regina-wrong idea. She did not want to be touched...she hissed, clawed, puffed up her hair. Start over.
This time I couldn't do all the perusing online. I had to decide on the spot and I don't do well deciding things on the spot. I started looking again, at all the black cats. I found a few (3-two black and one very dark grey) that were options and we (one cat at a time and myself) were sent into a tiny room to "see how we do." Cat #1-cute, black, playful and she wanted to sit on my lap. Cat #2-cute, black, hid in the corner. Cat #3-cute, grey, not as cute as #1. Let's start again. #1-cute, black, playful, still wanted to sit in my lap and this time she eskimo kissed me. I decide that she would be the one. Her name-Ezme, yes, I liked the uniqueness of the name.
On to the paperwork. I was nervous the whole time. Wondering if I was doing the right thing (I do that often-over-analyze). I decided I just needed to do it. It was a big step. While they were reviewing my paperwork I kept thinking, "I could just say no. Leave now. That cat will never know the difference." I kept thinking that over and over until they called my name. I'd waited too long. The "interview" was nothing. The main question they asked is how much I expected to spend on a cat?...makes sense...they don't want to adopt out to people who don't realize the expense. I already had a vet lined up. This was okay. I could do this. I went to my car, got the carrier and headed back in. They loaded her up and away we went. I had yet to purchase any cat stuff as I had planned on just looking, putting a hold on a cat and picking it up Saturday. Oh well for plans.
I called the vet and scheduled an appointment before we left the lot. I game planned: going home, dropping the cat off and then heading to the store to get supplies, at least to get us through the night. The Humane Society staff had told me that when I got home to open the carrier door and let her take her time in coming out. It could take all night. When I returned from the store I opened the carrier and out she bolted (good sign #1). I was shocked. She immediately jumped up on my bed and rolled over on her back (good sign #2). Shocked, again. Her motor was running. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, but wouldn't leave me alone. I was in a whole new world. A cat world. We didn't sleep much that night. When Ezme would lay down (which wasn't often) her motor was so loud and I was so un-used to purring that she'd wake me up. I figured that was good sign #3. We bonded over the weekend. I would wake up to her looking at me. That was weird and I sort of wondered if it was because her previous owner had died?! Who knows-she doesn't do it anymore.

We've been through a lot together in 2 years- one move, lots of vet visits, lots of medication, lots of litter trials and food trials (she has chronic sinusitus and has special food and litter, only after spending a small fortune on vet visits and antibiotics). Lots of trips to work-she is fabulous with my participants and she loves riding in the car. Flea baths-which were miserable for both of us. I love her. She is my very first, all mine, pet. No other will compare to her.

So, that was a long story, leading to the Ode to my Cat...if you readers are still with me: In honor of Ezme's 2 year anniversary with me I thought I'd put in writing the things I love about her.

I love that:
~she's got a motor, a strong one.
~she prefers drinking out of the bathroom sink or bathtub rather than her water dish.
~she likes to sleep on her own pillow between my head and the headboard of the bed.
~while she is sleeping above my head she likes to hug my arm when it is above my head.
~she sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night by licking the same spot on my forehead-right in the middle.
~she prefers to sit on tissue paper or in boxes than on the plain old floor.
~when she grooms herself she gives herself a mohawk, a small one, but one nonetheless.
~she tolerates me hugging her.
~she greets me at the door when I come home.
~she sits outside with me when I am reading.
~she curls up on my shoulder, especially when I am having a rough day.
~she sits on the edge of the tub between the shower curtain and liner when I am in the shower.
~she chases her tail.
~she likes to sit in the closet.
~she knows if she shoves her toys under the oven/stove that I will get down on my knees to get them out- over and over and over again.
~her favorite toys aren't the store bought cat toys, but the caps from water bottles and drinking straws.
~she likes having her own blanket on the couch.
~she doesn't like to sit in the windows.
~she likes laying on her back-a lot with her paws up in the air.
~she is particularly needy in the morning-when I don't have time to pay lots of attention to her.
~she is so proud when she kills a moth or bug on the balcony.
~she "talks" a lot.
~she likes to ride in the car.
~she loves to eat rice pudding (one particular brand) and she knows when I am opening those containers over the opening of other containers in similar size/material/etc.
~her ears get hot when she has been running around.
~she likes to play in the bathtub.
~she does so well when I take her to work.
Ezme, I'm lucky to have ended up with such a great feline in my life. I will forever be spoiled with this experience. Here's to many more years with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment