Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended....

...A great victory has been won. The skies no longer rain death - The seas bear only commerce - Men everywhere walk upright in the sunlight. The entire world is quietly at peace.
~General Douglas MacArthur

After stopping by the White House I debated about which way to head. I decided to head toward the Washington Monument. It was beautiful. I knew we'd be going up in it Saturday, but still took lots of pictures. I will include those in the post for that day. From there I headed to the National WWII Memorial. I remember when it was being built and the fundraising that was going on to support its completion. I'd never seen it, besides in pictures and renderings. I was so glad to be able to see it with my own eyes. It is a beautiful tribute to the men and women who gave their lives for and served this nation during that war. While I was there I wrote this:

Here I sit in the misty spray produced by the wind blowing water from the fountain at the WWII Memorial. This place is a silence inducing, awe-inspiring place of respect, peace and tranquility. I came here to see, to respect. I came here to see. I came here because my grandfather could not. As I sit here basking in the sun, living my privileged life I recall stories of sleeping in hammocks on ships in the middle
of who knows where, heading for God knows what. I don’t recall many stories that
Grandpa told about the war. He kept the scary ones to himself, in his nightmares, crammed in the back of his mind. That makes me sad, but that is what he thought he needed to do. I don't know if he talked to anyone in my family about many of his experiences. He would approve of this place. He would appreciate it. He would spend a long time here in silence I imagine. Remembering those experiences, healing a bit from those memories. For him I will spend that time here.

There are amazing numbers of people mulling around. I overhear a mother explain to her probably 4 or 5 year old daughter that this is a memorial. “What is a memorial mom?” “Honey, it’s a place of respect, memory and hope.” Yes, it is all of those and may today’s generations understand that; through questions, experiences and responses like the one I overheard. May this not just be a pretty fountain, a glorious place to sit in the sun. May it symbolize the memory of those who served, respect them and spread hope to all who visit this sacred space.











What a beautiful day for a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment