Monday, April 5, 2010

"I have sworn upon the altar of God...

...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson was our 3rd President. Before that he drafted the Declaration of Independence and was known as the "silent member" of Congress. The Memorial dedicated to his memory and influence in this country is directly south of the White House on the Tidal Basin. Josh and I didn't make it far enough around the Tidal Basin on Saturday to see it, so I decided to go back today to see it.

It is amazing that most of the beautiful cherry blossoms had fluttered away because of the heat by the time I made it back over to the basin. Below you can see that the trees are almost all decked out in their greenery, rather than the soft pink of their blossoms.
It amazed me how low the planes came in to land at Reagan Airport. In the picture below you can see a plane coming in to land.
There are beautiful inscriptions on the interior walls of the memorial that are from Jefferson's writings. They are powerful words.




I got really good at taking pictures of myself with things in the background...

No comments:

Post a Comment