I can't believe that it is my last day in DC. I have truly, whole heartedly loved this vacation. I had a list of so many things to see and do while I was here, and although I didn't get to see them all or do them all, I knew that was a risk I was taking with such a wealth of things to experience. The weather has been absolutely amazing. In the 70's and 80's. I couldn't have asked for better. I've gotten sunburned, even with the aide of sunscreen. This was the first time I have vacationed, essentially alone, and overall didn't mind it. In some ways I sort of prefered it as I could take my time and not worry about if I was boring my travel partner. I was odd taking pictures by myself, but that wasn't a big deal. It was nice having Josh meet me in DC after work or to meet him in Silver Spring and have someone to be around in the evenings. Josh and I were talking and decided to vacation completely alone would indeed be lonely, but I wasn't alone in the evenings. I am thankful for the good times I have spent with my brother and for being able to see things I'd always dreamed of seeing. I have already started my list of things to see next time I come that I missed this time.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I went by the
White House Visitor Center, which was fascinating and stored a wealth of knowledge. I also saw President Obama's motorcade once more, fitting to see it the first and last day of my trip. He was on his way to the Nationals opening day baseball game.
I did go by
Ford's Theatre. I wasn't able to go on any tours as they were sold out. On the list for next time.

Across the street from the theatre...

...also on the list for next time...

...the
Peterson House, where Abe Lincoln died in the morning hours after being shot.

After going by the theatre and house, it was fitting that I go to the only
Smithsonian Museum that I would set foot in during this trip (besides the
Castle-turned visitor center), the
National Museum of American History, to see Lincoln's Top Hat.


I also saw the
original sculpture memorial to George Washington.

My last stop during my very short, 30-45 minute trip to this museum, was that of the kitchen of Julia Child. It has become a very popular
exhibit after the recent movie release of
Julie and Julia.








After seeing the few things I had the stamina to see I was done. I told DC, "peace out, I am going home." I never have gotten to the point where I was ready to be home in Portland, but I am most definitely done with all the people that I have been around for the past six days. Like I said earlier, "I saw a lot. I have a lot more to see." Shortly, to celebrate my last night here, Josh and I are headed to a restraunt to watch the championship college basketball game and enjoy some nachos and the last night of each others company in some non-tourist normalcy that this trip has been peppered with, for which I am grateful. It has been a grand time, but as I must, I will return to real life in anticipation of my next great vacation, whether it be back here to this wonderful, historic and thought provoking place, or another place just as grand.
Thanks for following my adventures. Hope you are having some of your own!
No comments:
Post a Comment