Saturday, July 3, 2010

Klickitat Trail Adventures

A bonus of working with amazing people is that I also get to be friends with amazing people. And a bonus of being friends with amazing people is the opportunity to go on amazing adventures.

In light of the long 4th of July weekend, I whisked away with Cindy and Megan. Our destination was the Klickitat Trail north of Lyle WA. The goal was to hike the trail, have lunch, commune with nature. And we did. The section of trail we were on mostly hugs the Klickitat River. It was nice to have the sound of water all along the hike.
In addition to the sounds of water, there were sounds of Katydids, birds and encounters with other wildlife....or remnants of...

...nice shedded snake skin mustache, Cindy!

In the hiking book that Cindy got the trail idea from there was mention of this pipe that has mineral spring water gushing...you can see it below...yep, that rusty old thing. Once upon a time people bottled and tried to sell it. It didn't go very well.
Cindy and Megan both tried it. I did not. I don't regret that decision and Cindy and Megan were still alive on the hike back, so I don't imagine they regret their decision either! :)



We also passed an abandoned dry ice factory, now home to Swifts.
We passed under a large felled tree.
Saw some local wildlife...
...and then some more.



Thought these rock formations were pretty interesting. Man made or natural?

View up river.
The three of us.
Down river view.
Feet in the water.
At the end of the trail.
On the hike back we ran into more local wildlife. Look hard! There is a momma turkey and close to 10 of her little ones. (If you click on the picture it will enlarge!)
On the drive back we got some pretty amazing views of Mt Hood, in all its glory! In the picture below you can see Hood River and the Columbia beneath Mt Hood. There were massive amounts of windsurfers and kiteboarders on the river.
Windsurfers.
Crossing the Columbia we came across the Bridge of the Gods and stopped for ice cream! I had an amazing blackberry milkshake. Yummm!

It was a beautiful day and great start to the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment