Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lots 'o Sugar and a Little Bit o' Music

Months ago I was talking to Danielle and Garret. Garret is a big baker and wanted to hit up some small(er) bakeries in Portland. In the course of our conversation we decided it would be fun to do a bakery crawl. Our take on a Pub Crawl. After compiling a list of about 7 bakeries we ventured out this morning. Our first stop was Bob's Red Mill. One of my favorite places to stock up on gluten-free goodness.
Notice in the picture how bright eyed we are.
There is a huge wheel at Bob's and we had to "document" (my words) our adventure. Apparently, with my eyes closed.
Many goodies were got at Bob's. We then headed to Marsee Baking Company in Sellwood.
~
Notice now that Garret is looking a little jittery, post lots of coffee and the beginning surges of sugar in the bloodstream.

Our third, and what would be our final bakery stop was Sweet Pea Bakery. We had to hit this place up so I could endulge in some gluten-free goodness. I planned it in such a way that Danielle and Garret would do the majority of eating, and I'd only partake a little bit. It was worth it though!
~
This was one end of the display case at Sweet Pea. Probably my favorite bakery of the day.
Here are some yummy (according to D & G) donuts. I took their word for it. And, I can wholly vouch for the amazing, gluten-free, Almond Poppyseed Muffin. I can also vouch for the g-f chocolate chip cookie that I got for a later time. It was yummy too!
By the time we finished at Sweet Pea, Garret had sort of gone into sugar/caffeine shock. He had to take a walk around the block before heading to an oasis of real food. Hence, a Danielle and Stephanie self-portrait.
After consuming real food Garret needed to take a quick nap before they headed out to the beach. My couch was a perfect place for his sugar coma to pass.
~
Notice, he looks sort of deliriously happy...
Then, downright stoned and in a zone...
Then, he tried to hide from the world...
All while my dear Ezme is trying to figure out what the heck is going on...
It was a fun-filled morning with lots of laughter and goodies.
~
After they left I was hit by the post-sugar slump and decided to nap it off myself. Once I got up and moving my ambition was to head to Rose City Park with some friends from work to enjoy a lovely evening with some fun music.
The Lewi Longmire & the Left-Coast Roasters took the stage in a great, sunny, Portland summer evening!
The crew that let me tag along!
Les, Katrina, me, Cindy, Megan!
A grand day!

No comments:

Post a Comment