Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shakespeare in the Park

Portland is big on culture. It's one of the reasons I love this city so. Earlier in the week Megan asked me if I'd like to join her, along with some folks she knows from church at a Shakespeare in the Park event on top of Mt. Tabor. Sounded fun to me. I said yes. As Megan so aptly stated, "Have you ever seen a Shakespeare play from the top of a volcano? I can now cross that off my bucket list, thank you very much Mt. Tabor and the Portland Actors Ensemble!"

We attended PAE's performance of Pericles, Prince of Tyre. Not one of my favorite Shakespeare works, but the experience was very enjoyable. After work, up the mountain we went. This was the view of downtown PDX, officially hijacked from Megan's FaceBook page.
The group setting up the "staging area."
The audience...
...we slanted up hill the whole performance...
...definitely not the most comfortable way to sit.


At intermission Megan headed off to get some more pictures. I love Mt Hood, so of course I also had to hijack this photo.
During the performance.
The set also posed as the gift shop during intermission.
We had wondered how they were going to perform a whole play without mic's or electricity. The answer: project voices and Coleman Lanterns. Genuis. Though it was a bit interesting inhaling propane and hearing the buzz through the second act.
Thanks to Megan's bug spray I also stayed bite free from all thos pesky little mosquitoes.
Another great night enjoying Portland and all she has to offer. Thanks for the invite, Megan!

No comments:

Post a Comment