Saturday, August 1, 2009

Obonfest 2009

The Japanes Buddhist Obon Festival is also known as the "Festival of the Dead". Depending upon which "sect" of Buddhist tradition determines the time of year that the festival is held. Most often it is in July or August. The festival is a week long celebration honoring the spirits of dead ancestors. This is also the time where the spirits return home for three days. This festival has been celebrated since the 7th century and includes festing, dancing, and special services. The previous information and any more that you would like to read can be found at Japanese Obon Festival of the Dead. Annually, the Oregon Buddhist Temple hosts the Obonfest in SE Portland. This year I decided to go and experience it. Besides being curious about the Bon odori dances, I also was very excited to see Portland Taiko, which is an AMAZING Japanese drumming group. I first stumbled upon this group performing at the Washington Park Amphitheatre a few years ago while hiking with a friend. They are phenomenal. I enjoyed seeing all of the kimono, food, vendors, and of course the drummers and dancers.
Lanterns are a prominent item seen during the festivals.


Portland Taiko drums

This was a demonstration swordsman.

I didn't know what to expect when I walked into the temple, as I haven't ever been into a Buddhist Temple. I was surprised by the gold and beauty. The above picture was taken of a fixture inside the temple. I decided it would be nice to go some Sunday to experience a Buddhist service.

Portland Taiko group performing.

Bon odori dancers. Loved the kimono.

The obi sash and belt. I'd love to see an individual actually being dressed in a kimono, I think it would be facinating to see all that fabric become a beautiful ensemble.

Kimono on people were dancing by.

Check out those shoes, also called geta sandals. I would most definitely fall flat on my face. In watching the dance I can see how they would be helpful though!
Below is a video of Portland Taiko. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment