Sunday, December 27, 2009

Reflections on my hometown

As you may have seen in my previous blog post, I am home in Wyoming for Christmas. I generally do head in this direction for Christmas, and each year I wonder why. It has nothing to do with anything other than the weather. Wow. I freeze whenever I am here. This is the only time of year that my most immediate family all gets together. We are spread across the country, literally. My brother is in the DC area, my uncle is in North Carolina and I am in Portland; while mom and dad are in Wyoming and Colorado, respectively. My grandmother, aunt and her family, and another aunt and uncle also reside in Casper.


The leaning tree in the park across the street from the house (I hijacked this photo from my brothers facebook page-thanks Josh!)

Weather aside, it is a good time spent with family. This year my brother and I both worked on Christmas Eve and flew into Denver as our schedules allowed. We celebrated Christmas on the 26th, which also happened to be Wayne's (my uncle through marriage to my Aunt Jonna) birthday. My Uncle Ron (from NC) arrived into Casper the 22nd and so we were able to spend a day and half-ish with him before he left. We also were able to see one of my dad's brother's and his wife and one of their granddaughters, my second cousin (who I might add is now 20 and I remember the day she was born). I sort of felt old for a moment, then realized I am getting old(er).

It has been nice to be in a place that had for so long been home. Casper is growing and expanding so much that it seems to be a different place each time I return. I wonder if it just started changing after I left, or if I just notice it now since I am gone for such a long time between visits?!

Me and Aunt Jonna (my mom's sister)

Dad and Wayne

Grandma

Hannah and Rebekah (cousins)

Uncle Ron (mom's brother), Mom, Josh (my brother)

Hope you all had a greast Christmas!
PS There is talk of us going to a snow-less place for Christmas next year....maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment