Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cooper Mountain excursion

Mt Talbert is one of my favorite places to hike. Discovering this glorious place also opened a door, a website in reality, to Cooper Mountain Nature Park. Both places fall under the jurisdiction of Metro. When looking at their website I came across this newest destination. The reason I hadn't made it before today? It is a long way (or at least feels like a long way) from my place.

Today, I had grand plans of waking up at 4:30 am. Yes, as in the morning, as in the sun hasn't technically risen. Crazy, I know! But, I really wanted to go to the Tigard Festival of Balloons and see the hot air balloons launch at 5:45am. I was kidding myself. With as tired as I was and as early as I didn't go to bed last night, I promptly turned the alarm off when it sounded this morning. Then I woke up at a decent hour, well, that could be debatable. Is 6:45 on weekend decent? Maybe. Better than 4:30 regardless.

Anywho, after doing some stuff around home I decided I would still venture out to Tigard. To go see the balloons, already launched. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and tackle both the festival and this new hike. They are both on the same side of the river, and not all that far from each other. When I arrived at the Balloon Festival there were no balloons in the air, so I kept on moving, heading towards my next destination:

Cooper Mountain
It is gorgeous!
There are daisies!

Everywhere!

Lining both sides of the trail.

There are more flowers.

And, funny looking horns
(listening horns, not for yelling-as a sign reminds)

And more flowers, all kinds!

And, birds!
To listen to through the listening horns.

It was a nice, hot (summer has FINALLY arrived in PDX) hike and I had a great view of some amazing wildflowers blooming when I was on my way home.

Ah, sweet rejoice for new places.
Next year I will attempt to be more successful at arising at the early hour of 4:30 to see a balloon launch. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment