Megan's parents live in this area and so we decided to road trip it down for the long weekend, along with Megan's friend Julie and her family. The daunting task was going to be the drive down. Not because it was particularly long or complicated, but merely for the reason that it was Memorial Day Weekend. A busy time on any road, anywhere in the United States. So, climb in the car Friday night we did. After a long week at work. We were wholly and truly prepared to sit in some major traffic. I, however, have decided since that time that the traffic gods were looking down on us and smiling. Really! I don't lie! We got on I-205 and, in the rain made our way south. There was a slow down on the interchange from 205 to I-5 and then it was smooth sailing. What?! How'd that happen? Like I said, it must have been the traffic gods, and maybe even a little bit of the weather gods. The rain maybe put a damper on plans for some? Maybe?!
Anywho, we booked it along right down I-5. Stopped once and met up with Julie and her car-ful and then ventured the rest of the way down. There are three things I would like to share about the drive down. I wrote them down so that I would not forget them. They made me laugh.
1) Megan wanted to know what time an amazing diner in Rice Hill closed. After getting a diner name from her parents she called 411 and had the darndest time getting the computer service to recognize Rice Hill. Oregon. Oakland. You name it...it was hit or miss. Mainly miss. Finally after getting the number, well assuming you've got the number coming through in a text message it fails. Try again. It was hilarious (to me) to have Megan keep saying Oregon. Oregon. Oregon. Rice Hill. Rice Hill. Oakland. Oakland. And, it went on. Finally, number was acquired, but they'd be closed by the time we rolled through.
2) Playing "I Spy" with a 4, almost 5, year-old over walkie-talkies in two different vehicles that were a few car lengths apart was quite amuzing, and really, quite adorable.
3) Singing "Happy Birthday" to a co-worker who had the day of her birth anniversary off from work. It is always fun to sing out-of-key (which is what I always do).
We eventually made it to the landing pad late. And to bed I shortly went. In the morning when I got up and looked out the front door, this is what I was greeted with. A gorgeous site that I had been unable to see in the dark the previous night.
After some hanging out, lounging and breakfast we headed to Jacksonville OR. A town that had, way back when, been destined to be the state capital. It was a cute, quiant little town.
There was this "old fashioned" lady sitting on a bench and talking on her cell phone...oh, the irony.
Mt McLouglin is to Southwest Oregon like Mt Hood is to Northwest Oregon. It was a beautiful mountain.Sunday we packed things up and headed to Crater Lake. A place on my to-do list. It was amazing! It was beautiful, breathtaking, and a place I will most definitely go back to. Promise.
This was the drive up towards the lake.
Me on the rim.
After the Crater Lake experience we did some more just hanging out. Had a BBQ on Monday for lunch and then headed back to PDX. We couldn't drive past Rice Hill without stopping at Peggy's. Yes, that is the name of the diner Megan had been attempting to acquire a phone number for. When we got off the freeway, low and behold--it was the WRONG place. Oy. Anywho, we made it over to the right place...the K-R Drive In.
Much thanks to Megan for inviting me and to Gary and Claudia for the amazing hospitality!


.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment