Saturday, June 5, 2010

"Waterfalls are spectacular, simultaneously beautiful, uplifting, overwhelming and bringing such immediacy into our minds....

...There is no wondering about what the waterfalls were like yesterday, no way to know what they'll look like tomorrow. There will always be a shade of difference, a nuance noticed or not, but to see them right now, in this moment in their powerful splendor---that is the way to celebrate the present." ~Dave Gershner

Thank goodness for friends who are game for going on adventures! Today was Oregon State Parks Day (which really just boils down to the fees being waived for entrance to any state park). I had contemplated trying out a state park, if the weather improved, as we have had a very wet and cool spring/early summer. I figured that I should probably go to a park I'd never been too. See something new, expand my horizons, that whole line. Well, I changed my mind and it worked out well. I had just decided to go to a much loved (by me!) park called Silver Falls State Park. It is amazing. I could spend days hiking those trails, and I have. Shortly after I had decided my destination Megan came strolling into my office. She was going to bribe me to aid in yardwork at her house. I conceeded, with the agreement that she join me for a hike first. What a tough decision, right!?

Anyway, off we go with lunch in hand and ready for an adventure. One of Megan's earliest memories is of her pre-school group going to the park and seeing this amazingly huge waterfall that you can walk behind. Once we arrived at the park we headed toward that fall! It was so much fun to see her sheer giddiness when we approached the trail. It makes me smile. Revisiting places of early childhood memories are amazing.

The rainbow created by the mist!
This was the view peaking over the edge of the Upper South Fall (the big one)!
Beautiful! In all the hikes I've done in this area I have NEVER seen SO much water. The mist was amazing and oh-so-refreshing...
The sun shining through the mist and trees
Where's Megan in the picture below? Gives a good idea of the enormity of the falls.
The drenched girls...I said the mist was amazing, and oh-so-wet! Shower anyone?


We were on the "Trail of Ten Falls" and I've lost track of what picture is what fall...all are beautiful anyways.
~
The picture below is of the trail and you can see the mist from one of the falls in the upper left corner.
Coming down lots of stairs...
I think that is the Lower South Fall behind us.



I love these bridges...not sure why, but I do. Loved the green! I guess all the rain we've had is good for something, well, two things-lots of green in the area and lots of water! Spectacular!

Megan is so clever with a camera... :)


Check out the crazy hair style with the wind from the water pressure blowing at me from behind!


Mid-way, maybe even a little earlier, Megan got hungry. We decided it would be in our best interest, or her stomach's best interest to head back on the Winter Trail so that we could eat. Not a bad idea, as once we got to about 1 mile before the car my hip decided to revolt against going up any inclines, or even on level ground. Down hill was the best option, but rarely did we do it. Apparently, when you should be doing hip exercises daily and don't, body parts decide to let you know. Ouch. BUT, I made it and Megan made it and we sat down to lunch...
Salad with salmon, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, carrots and feta cheese...who said we can't dine in style out in the wilderness?!
Oh, yeah...that yardwork bribe. I followed through with lawn mowing (with a push reel lawn mower, which I can't remember last placing hands on) and some major sweeping and gutter cleaning. I was utterly exhausted at the end of the day, but overwhelmingly satisfied. What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment