Monday, July 13, 2009

I found my new favorite place!

How did I miss this gem? I have lived in Portland for 8 years, and in this area of Portland for 4 years and I can not even believe that I have lived my life without knowing, or I should say, experiencing this place. You see, Mount Talbert is this dear little area in SE Portland that is a nature park. It is one of the few remaining natural, undeveloped extinct volcanoes on the east side of Portland. If you so desire, you may read more about the area if you click on Mount Talbert above, but I am here to show you pictures of the area. After, of course, my little story: Megan, a friend of mine from work and I went to Hoyt Arboretum last week and I really did enjoy the hike. There were lots of not-well-marked trails, and often we just guessed which way to go. I absolutely LOVE being outside and in wooded areas, so was very glad she asked me to join her. When I got home from work today, I decided it wasn't the day to do my daily 1+ mile in my neighborhood like usual. I yearned to get out into the woods. I knew I didn't want to go far, as even in the summer, it does get dark eventually. I remembered this "butte" that I see often and had seen as an "outdoor destination" on a show about Portland at least 2 years ago. I had no idea what the name was so I went to Google. As I have said before, what would we do without search engines? Anywho, it didn't come up as a hike in the area, but with the terrain setting on the map I figured it out. I then looked up directions and hit the road. This little oasis is a mere 10 minutes from where I live and I was so pleased to arrive and decide my path. All in all, I believe I walked/hiked/talked on the phone (no one ever calls me, actually that is a lie, but rarely do 5 people call me all in the same evening, or in the same hike) for about 3 miles. Here are some photos of the area!
The trees were beautiful!

There were fern plants everywhere. If you know a fern that is lonely, I know a place it can go to be with friends.

These trails were marked amazingly.There is even a map on the incline part of each post that has a "you are here" dot. VERY helpful!
One of the trails I was on was apparently closed, but there was not a sign at the end I started out on. This is what I was greeted by when I arrived at the opposite end.


I saw a deer, my draw of the camera wasn't quick enough to catch it. Here is the proof that it actually exists in the area though!


Hope you enjoyed the little "field trip" via photos as I enjoyed the real thing and will return again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment