When my Mom and Uncle were younger they were both members of the Troopers Drum and Bugle Corp. Mom was in the color guard and my uncle played the drums. I grew up hearing stories and seeing pictures (along with a scar or 2 that my mom has from nails in the rifles if I remember correctly). I also grew up going to drum corp contests in several different locations, but I most remember contests in Denver. When there were contests in Casper Mom would always scope out where the different corps were practicing and then load us up in the car to go listen to practice. When it came to drum corp my Mom didn't and still doesn't know a stranger. Because of her experience she was able to connect to many people using that common thread. After contests we'd go to the "pits" is what I would call them, where all the buses and semi's that were home to the corp members parked during shows and we'd try to track down people Mom knew. I'll never forget wandering around in the dark, in the diesel fumes, and being surrounded by instruments, people, chaos. It was good memory time for Mom. She is still involved with the Troopers as an alum and told me, I don't know how many months ago, that they were coming to the Portland area for a contest. I decided I'd like to go so I bought a ticket and ventured out to Hillsboro this evening for the contest featuring 5 corps. I got to the stadium early so that I could get a good seat (up high so I could see eveything) and sat and read a book while I was waiting. I could here all the corps practicing in the distance and it took me back to my childhood. The Troopers were AMAZING during their performance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment