Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wedding Bells Are Ringing

The way Melissa and I became friends was and wasn't so unique, but nonetheless, I'm glad we did become friends. My Sophomore year in college my roommate, Jen, decided college wasn't the thing for her right at the moment, so she packed up and went to work at Disney World. This left me roommate-less in a 3 person room (Jen and I were designated a "host" room for prospective students to stay in when they visited campus so we had an extra bed). Jen, bless her heart, went on a search for an 'appropriate' roommate for me to replace herself once she left. Coincidentally, Melissa was a Freshman and lived right across the hall. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but she was close to desperate to get out of her roommate situation. So Jen settled it, Melissa was going to be my new roommate, mind you, she will be roommate number 3 in only 1.5 years of college. Jen went to housing and told them "the plan". Melissa even started moving her stuff in before Jen moved out completely.

I think that it was meant to be, truly! Melissa and I just clicked. We were both quiet, had similar study habits, that is when she studied...I barely remember her cracking a book in my presence. We would lay in the dark room at night and whisper across at each other, many times we would start laughing hysterically, and then we could never remember why (except one particular incident involving a Caramello bar). We'd set-up her laptop on one of the chairs and watch a movie on a tiny, tiny screen and I always fell asleep watching and she never gave me too hard of a time. At the end of the school year we decided we'd had so much fun we'd do it again the next year. And we even ended up in the same exact room: East 407!

I have been reminiscing a lot as of late about the time Melissa and I shared since I received a "Save the Date" card and invitation for todays event. Melissa was finally marrying Thomas. They were almost inseperable in college and I spent a lot of time with them and lots of time playing devils advocate in those late night, in the dark conversations with Melissa as she was navigating their relationship. The wedding was beautiful and so many were glad they were tying the knot!
The mixing of the sand.

Introducing the happy couple!

First dance as husband and wife.

Myself and the beautiful bride!
The wedding reception was at the World Forestry Center and was lots of fun for all. It is the first reception I've been at where they requested a group photo, but what a grand idea! Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. So glad I was able to share in your special day! Here's to many years of happiness for you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment