Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Strawberries are an "accessory" fruit?!...

...indeed! According to strawberries.com strawberries are an accessory fruit. What exactly does that mean? I was thoroughly surprise to learn the following from Wikipedia: "An accessory fruit, false fruit, spurious fruit, or pseudocarp is a fruit in which some or all of the flesh is derived not from the ovary but from some adjacent tissue. Some examples include cashews and pineappless. A fig is a type of accessory fruit called a syconium. Pomes, such as apples and pears, are also accessory fruits, with the core being the true fruit. "

Regardless of whether strawberries are an accessory fruit they are delicious, especially as they are transformed into freezer jam, which I love to make. Here is the photo sequence of my jam making. It took two nights, but those two nights will be worth it into the coming year as I enjoy my freezer jam on many things, mainly pancakes!

Berries right after I bought them!! One whole flat! yes the people I bought them from were shocked! The berries in the sink soaking!The berries after they've been hulled. I felt like I stood at my sink for eons.

Mashing the berries.
Adding the pectin so the jam, jams!
The finished product! SO yummy!
So you know what I'll be starting to eat again soon? Pancakes!! For some reason I don't enjoy my pancakes as much without this lovely, red, goodness! Pancakes anybody??

No comments:

Post a Comment