Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hau`oli Lā Hānau Hawaii Style

Hau`oli Lā Hānau means Happy Birthday in Hawaiian. And, this years (30th) birthday was a Hawaiian birthday. It was gloriously warm. The morning started out as most of our Hawaii mornings started...breakfast on the lanai. I think I could live on that lanai. I adored that lanai. I dream about that lanai. And the view from that lanai. 

It was also a clear morning so we could see the Mauna Kea Summit from the opposite side of the condo from that lovely lanai. This picture was taken from the room my Dad and Josh were staying in.


This is my Uncle and me in front of the condo right before we were taking off for the day to Volcano National Park.


We stopped at an area that had a pull off once we started getting to the lava fields. It reminded me slightly of a Volcanic trip that my Dad and I took a couple years ago to central Oregon (except it was much warmer). There was lava rock as far as the eye could see...

And, it was windy...

Brother and me!

Dad was carrying a chunk of lava rock and reportedly it was much heavier than it looks.

The wind was too strong to set a camera up for a whole group photo, so here is 4/5 of our group. Josh is behind the camera.

For some reason I love the below photo....


Next we head down to South Point, HI-this is the most southern point in the United States....and yes, I looked at a map to verify. I never really paid attention to how far south Hawaii really is.

This is deep hole on the rock that ocean water rushes into.


This was the edge...or as I think of it...the end of the earth. The water was an amazing color. And, we discovered that this is a popular cliff jumping location. Next time (that phrase was used frequently) I will jump from there...Josh and I thought about going back as we didn't have our swimsuits, but we ran out of time.

Can you see the dolphins...just right of center....there were also sea turtles....ocean life always amazes me.

The wood structures were once used by native when fishing in the waters at South Point.


Living life on the edge....with a certain amount of protection with railings.



Who wants to go jump with me?!?

Family picture at South Point. You can see a wind farm (aptly placed) behind and to the right of us.

Lunch at Haha Hou....the southernmost restaurant.

77 degrees on my birthday...I was in heaven...well, paradise-it was amazing. I've never been somewhere this warm for my birthday.

A co-worker had told me I had to have a papaya...so my first was at the restaurant with chicken salad in it. It was delicious.

Next we stopped at the Black Sand Beach. It was definitely black and had lots of turtles hanging out. They are amazing creatures.


Exploring....

Sea turtle!


I can't say how much I love, Love, LOVE this picture. My Dad was taking a nice picture of my Mom and her brother and me and my brother decided to photobomb the picture. We had no idea if or how it would turn out. It was GREAT!
We told them to look at the picture and couldn't stop laughing ourselves, they cracked up when they saw it. And, they didn't want a re-do to have a nice picture....go them! And, go us! 

Getting some sun!
A friend of mine wanted picture proof that I got some beach time...my legs look even more starkly white against black sand than they would have against white sand...oy.






Just a chunk of rippled lava...







You can see the black sand compared to "regular" sand in this picture...

Hawaii licence plate...You hardly see any of these on the mainland, so it was fun to drive a car with one the whole time we were there! 

Next we made our way to Volcano National Park....where we weren't able to spend nearly enough time...but there will be a next time...



















I was amazed by the rainbow that ended in the ocean...it was there for hours...

Lava....there was a lot of it. At one point my Uncle said he thought he'd seen enough lava to last a lifetime. :)



Looking down near the Holei Sea Arch...it was a long way down and much rougher water than we'd seen at South Point.


These palm trees (especially with the rainbow behind) seemed like a little oasis from the vast amounts of lava in the area.

This picture reminds me of a movie scene for some reason...the back lighting maybe? the three guys strolling forward? I don't know....
Approaching where the lava flows covered the road. This flow happened from '92 to '97.

...just maybe, eh?!


Lava meets road...nature is a powerful thing.



Ripple patterns were amazing in the hardened lava.

You can see where the lava flow came down the mountainside.




For size comparison....you can see me and Dad on the mound in the lower left of the picture.


After traipsing along the lava fields we made our way to a lava tube. I've been in a lava tube south of Mt St Helens and this one was similar, except it was lit and much bigger around and shorter in distance. A fun jaunt, though.


Group picture at the end...it had started to rain so forgive the spots!

It was dark by the time we made it to Pele...but we could see her glow. It was awe inspiring. I only wish we'd been able to see flowing lava.



The glow is behind us...washed out because of the flash reflecting on us. I am not a fan of myself in this picture, but I adore my Dad's smile so I had to include it!
So, when someone asks..Stephanie, where'd you spend your 30th Birthday? I can tell them I spent part of it at the southern most point in the US and on an active volcano...It was a good day, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment