Thursday, December 27, 2012

White, Sandy Beach and Saying Aloha (the goodbye kind)

It's hard to say goodbye to paradise. It's also hard to say goodbye to family who might not be seen again until next Christmas. On our last day in Hawaii I said it was a must to go to the beach. Notice I say THE. This is because it was the only white, sandy beach in Kona. Most of the rest of the coastline is just that, coastline or shoreline; rocky, jagged, lava shoreline. Not too pleasant to sun yourself on. So, off we went for a morning swim and sunning session on the one white, sandy beach. It was glorious. I got sunburned (of course on the last day in paradise) but it was still wonderful. Swimming in warm(ish) ocean water isn't even a yearly phenomenon for me, so it was nice. And it was salty. And I was getting sunburned. I would repeat the day again. Minus the sunburn. I believe that the name of this beach is, ironically, White Sands. Imagine that! :) 

Arrival...


 Feet in the sand. My feet liked being in that sand. They want to be back in that sand.




 Josh and I are the two people you can see furthest away. I'm on the right and he's on the left.

Family picture! (oceanic background)


Family picture! (greenery background)

A message that it was time to go home. Back to reality. Sigh. Big Sigh...

Daytime pictures if Mokuaikia Church. See THIS post for Christmas Eve Service details if you haven't scrolled that far down yet.



We decided we just didn't have enough Hawaiian gear, so we headed to Hilo Hattie's for a few things. We got the rest of the tourist musts-coffee mug, charms, shell leis, and even 4 pearls that Josh picked the oysters for. Mom and I each have 2 and we need to decide how to mount them now...let me know if you have any tasteful ideas....

 I felt like I needed to take condo pictures and Dad wanted some pictures of the condo so we could remember how great the place was and why we want to be there still. So, pass them up if you like, otherwise, enjoy and if you plan on making a trek to the Big Island I have a great place recommendation for you...

Living/Dining/Kitchen from the loft...

AMAZING lanai. I could live on this lanai...we sort of did. After the trip I was reminiscing with Dad and we realized we only ever ate indoors one time. There was a second pseudo-indoor meal, but all the glass slatted windows were open so I don't count it. Think...breakfast every morning here. Looking out over palms, golf course and to the ocean...beem me up Scotty-right back to this place...

Loft...

Looking into the living area from the lanai...

Looking toward the master bedroom from lanai...Mom and I were in that room.

Master bedroom....it had a spectacular view. Also had its own bathroom.
 From bathroom area...
 From master out into living room. Notice the spiral staircase...It was fun. But I didn't have to climb it daily.

Master towards the kitchen...
 Kitchen toward the living room and lanai...

Dad and Josh were in this room...

Last sunset. Hard to leave...





"Last meal..." Ice cream and PBR beer...classy!

Peace out, Hawaii- we'd like to stay, but will be back.

We all (Mom, Dad, Josh and me) flew out within about half and hour of each other so we all went to the airport together and left the rental car (so thankful we had it the whole time we were there--PTL). We all also had layovers at LAX. Josh and I were on the same KOA to LAX flight and Mom and Dad were on the same as each other also. After Josh and I seperated in LA since I had to go to a different terminal I was able to see Dad just as he was getting ready to board his plane home. Mom was already in the air. All dispersed until next year. Makes me sad.

I knew I was flying home from 80 degree weather to frigid (but not as frigid at everyone else's welcome home weather) upper 30 degree weather. Talk about shock to the system. It took me weeks to re-acclimate. However, this was the beautiful sight I had during landing...I love these mountains. And they welcomed me home wonderfully...



SO, the big question is....when can I move to Hawaii?! Or at least buy a second home to escape too there?! I suppose buying a first home would be a good step. Though, Josh and I have been dreaming about at least having a time-share that we could frequent. Mom said she'd like to move to Hawaii while we were there--even looked at home listings. Dad--he'd be game for whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment