Sunday, December 23, 2012

"Hawaii is not a state of mind, but a state of grace." ~Paul Theroux

Day 3 we road tripped North to go around the island to Hilo. We cut through Waimea and drove through part of the Parker Ranch area, but after a few stops and turn arounds we couldn't find the visitor center...next time. 

Anywho, it was another sunny, beautiful day.

This picture is from a previous day, but I just found it and wanted to include it since we had many of these little visitors throughout the trip...this one was hanging out on our lanai. I don't blame him (or her)...it was a great place to hang out.


Yes, that sign says, "Do Not Climb Wall"...
...but if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten this picture...
 I think the risk was worth it.


 We stopped to check out a water fall and the bridge we had to be on was awful tall....

"It's a long way down!"
Us walking back across the bridge.

Josh took this picture and I love it. I'm not 100% sure why, but it partly reminds me of one of those very difficult, every piece looks the same, kind of puzzles.
 And the canyon.

Hilo waterfront...there were surfers out there, too.

Some wave crashing action.
 These bent trees amuse me.
 Trying to crack open a coconut~

We wandered through a farmers market and some facinating things. Also bought bananas, Hawaiian potatoes, a pretty shell pendant and papayas!













This was a jack fruit...they were huge. I should look into what they are exactly, now that I've seen them.
 Lots of flowers!
 A very vocal cat that we passed. It's owner was manning one of the farmers market booths.

I sent a few postcards to a very few people. After finally finding stamps, I had to take a picture of them, as I thought they were so fun! Hawaiian shirt stamp anyone?!

My friend John told me we needed to have shaved ice while we were there. This round did not have ice cream in the bottom, like he'd highly recommended. It still tasted delicious, though!

We walked by a fabric store and I loved the pineapple quilt they had in the window.


The next stop we made was at Rainbow Falls. It was a beautiful water fall and it was named for the rainbows it creates when the sun hits it just right in the morning.

Uncle Ron at the sign...


 Mom's goal for this trip was to learn how to take "self-portrait pictures." I have become sort of a master at this, so I was giving her a few tips.
 Practicing~~ practice makes perfect.
 Laughing at one of the blooper pictures Mom had taken.
 Brother took this nice picture of me.
 And, this funny picture of Mom.

On a short hike in the area were these unusual flowers...before it opened it was about the size of two fists...


We came upon this amazing tree. It reminds me of the tree in the movie Ferngully. It was huge and absolutely impressive.

  For size comparison...I look so little...



Brother!!

More pretty scenery! Everything was so green and lucious on this side of the island. Though, I was thankful for the warm, dry weather in Kona, rather than the rainy Hilo weather that is common this time of year.


The drive back over the mountain was arduous. The road was winding and bumpy, the landscape stark, the fog had settled in some areas and it was starting to get dark during part of the drive. We did see some Nene, the Hawaiian state bird (a goose). We couldn't quite see the peak of Mauna Loa, but we saw the starkness of the military base up in the area. Not a place I'd prefer to spend a lot of time, but I appreciated the startling landscape as well. I was glad to get home for the night...and so it seems that Josh was as well...curled up under the coffee table?!?! Oh, how he makes me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment