Monday, December 24, 2012

"Let's have an island Christmas this year..." Michael Franks lyrics from "Island Christmas"

Merry Christmas Eve from Hawaii! I can't even begin to tell you how amazing Christmas in paradise is. Yes, it doesn't "feel" like Christmas, but I sure think I could get used to this amazing weather. Shorts, skirts, tank tops and flip flops (and swimsuits in outdoor pools) in December...pretty much amazing. After spending two days doing a lot of driving and spending a lot of time in the car on the road we were ready to not be in the car. The guys decided they'd dedicate their Christmas Eve to spending time at the pool. Because there aren't many "beaches" in Kona, we spent time at the pool and in the hot tub rather than on the beach. It was close and convenient...and there were three to pick from in the condo complex.
Pops and Josh above and Uncle Ron below...they all got sunburned...
 Meanwhile, Mom and I went to the hub of Kona to do some shopping and just hanging out. It was this day that I ate the most amazing Coconut Cream ice cream at a coffee shop that I still crave. My mouth waters when I think about it.

While we were enjoying the sun and our ice cream we noticed this little island off the coast. Not sure what the structure is, but it was cute.
 Totem...
 Palm trees are wonderful. I like them.
 Bananas on a tree.
 Mom and Me~~
 Mom wanted to get some shaved ice and while she was eating it I noticed these parrots in the tree above us...just wild parrots, hanging out. We went back later so Josh could see them, but they weren't in the tree that time.
 I love that I was wearing what I was in December. I'd be an icicle if I'd worn this in Portland or Casper on Christmas Eve.

 Neither of us has ever owned Crocs, but we had to take a picture with the Croc people...they were just that creepy.

 On the drive home we stopped at a scenic point and  could here some hissing...it was this mongoose...actually, there was more than one...mongeese?! Mongooses?! They were ugly and agngry little devils, regardless.

Christmas Eve Pineapple for Natalie.
 It sure was yummy...
Christmas Eve Dinner! Mom and I had stopped at Safeway and at Target (our 5th Target trip I do believe) and picked up broccoli, Rib Eye steaks and olives to go with our pineapple and Hawaiian potatoes from the farmers market in Hilo (they were a different texture and taste than our normal potatoes...Josh and I likened them to the taste of plantains--I really liked them) and then Josh and I went to the other grocery store for some sparkling apple cider. It was a delicious Christmas Eve dinner and in such a beautiful setting.

 Nice looking group, aren't we?!

And, a nice Christmas Eve sunset!!





































Mom, Dad and I went to Mokuaikaua Church, the oldest church in the islands for Christmas Eve Service. It was the most amazing Christmas Eve Service I will probably ever experience.

The gate area...see a later post for pictures of the church during daylight hours.

We got there early, but not early enough. Seating on the main level was full, and our options for seating were the second floor balcony or (I still can't get over this...) outdoors. They were broadcasting the service on screens in both locations. We opted for the balcony. I'm glad we did.

 Candlelight segment from above...we couldn't have candles in the balcony due to fire codes. I didn't mind.

 There were a few hula dances. Hula on Christmas Eve at church...it was very beautiful.

Here is a video of the Hula dancers dancing to Silent Night. I could've watched them all night long. It was so beautiful.
Right?! Best Christmas Eve Service ever...I'm sorry if you are jealous.

Sign on the way out. There was also a palace across the street...I never did get a picture of it, but it was pretty.














On the way to the church we'd seen these Palms lit up with Christmas lights and had to stop on the way home to get a picture...none of the pictures are great, but I loved that I really did see palms lit up light this for Christmas. I don't envy the person who had to get up there to put them up...I appreciate their efforts.



This was the view we had coming home every night...
And this was the complex Christmas tree. I was amazed by all the outdoor Christmas trees. Fun to see.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment